Sunday, March 18, 2012

Looking for Homer's Grave - Found Elisha's Grave

I spent the last couple of days trying to find Homer's grave.  His death certificate says that he was going to be buried at East Slope Memorial Gardens in Riverside, MO.  The program from his Memorial Service said the same thing.  So I went to Find A Grave to search and see if he was listed there, and he was not.  Then I searched Find A Grave to see if  the East Slope Memorial Gardens cemetery was listed, and it was.  There was also a list of the graves, and Homer wasn't on that list.  But his father, Elisha M. Robertson was!  Someone had started a memorial page for Elisha and listed that he was buried at East Slope Memorial Gardens and had put a picture of the cemetery, but not his grave.  So I put in a request for a photo of his grave and two people went to the cemetery over the weekend and sent me pictures of Elisha's gravestone, but couldn't find Homer's grave....which is strange because according to the records I have, he is definitely buried there.  Both of the people who took Elisha's photos said they would try to find Homer's grave, so I hope they succeed!

I'm pretty much at a standstill for Homer right now until I get some info back from the two letters I sent, or until they find his grave.  So I decided to do a little research on his father, Elisha Milford Robertson.

UPDATE: 6/10/2012 - Homer's grave has been found!  I updated this information with photos on the March 16th post.  Jeremy Yazell found it for me (through Find A Grave).  His grave has no headstone, but is located 2 plots away from Elisha's grave, according to the cemetery records.  You'll see Elisha's headstone below and Homer's would be to the right, 2 plots away.    I need to get a headstone for him!.




Elisha Milford Robertson - Father of Homer Ross Robertson and my maternal great-grandfather

I'll start with the photos of Elisha's gravestone that I received through Find A Grave.  It gives his birth year as 1881 and his death year as 1946.  This gravestone was found in East Slope Memorial Gardens in Riverside, MO.  I was hoping Homer and his wife, Zona, were buried nearby, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Elisha M. Robertson  1881-1946




Top picture: You can see Elisha's headstone in the foreground through the grass.  
Bottom picture: A google earth image.  The small dark circle is where Homer's grave is.


These pictures of East Slope Memorial Gardens were found on the Find A Grave website. 


So, we start with Elisha being born in 1881 and passing away int 1946.  That would have made him 65 years old at his death. 


Census Records for Elisha Milford Robertson

You would think that the birth and death year on a gravestone would be accurate, wouldn't you?  But, if Elisha was born in 1881, then he definitely wouldn't be on an 1880 Census.  Yet he was!


It's very light, but you can definitely see, listed last in the Milas M. Robertson household, Elisha - aged 1.  That would put his birth year as 1879.








No comments:

Post a Comment