Sunday, April 8, 2012

Still Looking for my Dad, Buddy Harms, as a Child

I decided to see if I could find a City Directory for Leo Ervin Harms...my dad's dad.  So I went back to ancestry.com and searched.  I hit pay dirt!  I found a 1939 City Directory which lists Leo and Fern Harms.  It give their address:  3321 Holmes, Kansas City, Mo.  And it says that Leo was a Barber....which I knew.  Let's see if that info will help me find this family on the census!

I went to Ancestry.com and they had a place where you could try to find the right Enumeration District by putting in the cross streets.  I had the street name:  Holmes - - but I didn't know the cross street.  So I googled mapped the address 3321 Holmes in Kansas City, MO and it brought up a google earth map with all the streets labeled.  I found Holmes Road and Holmes Street.  I didn't know which it was, so I started with Holmes Road and put in the cross streets near it.  I didn't find Leo's family on any of them.  So I went back and  googled it as Holmes Street and it took me to a different part.  I did the same thing, put in the different cross streets I found on the map and hoped they would be the same as they were 72 years ago!

Success!!  On the second ED schedule that I looked through - 116-112 - I found Leo Harms with wife, Fern and son Buddy L. living on Holmes Street!  Finally!!  I'll go over the censuses next time and put down all the information they contain.  Right now I have tired eyes from looking at all that small print!  I am a very happy lady right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment