Sunday, April 8, 2012

Trying to find My Mom on the 1940 Census

My mother, Kay Elizabeth Robertson, was the only child of Homer Ross Robertson and Eleanor Myrtle Pierce.  She was born in 1934...right during the Great Depression!  She was born on August 22, 1934 in Canton, Lewis, MO.  63 years later, my son, Matthew Carl Budge, was born on Grandma Kay's birthday.


I really want to find my mother on the 1940 Census.  The next Census...1950....won't be released for another 10 years, so this is probably the only one I'm going to see her on until I'm nearly ancient!

I checked for Homer's family on the same Census as Elisha, but he wasn't there.  I checked the other North Kansas City, Clay County, MO census...but Homer wasn't there either.  So now the challenge is to figure out where they were living so I can find them on the census.  I know that they were living in Canton, Lewis County in 1934 when my mother was born.  So let's search there and see if they were still there 6 years later.

I looked through all 3 Canton, Lewis County, MO Census records....and Homer and his family are not there.  So...where to look next??   Elisha and Zona were living in North Kansas City, Clay County at the time.  I didn't find Homer's family on those 2 censuses....but maybe they were still in Clay County.  So, I'm going to see what Censuses we have for Clay County.  It looks like there are 8:  Excelsior Springs, Fishing River, Gallatin, Kearney, Liberty, North Kansas City, Platte, Washington.  Of those, Fishing River, Gallatin, Kearney and Liberty sound familiar.  I already searched North Kansas City...so I'll start searching in the others.

Here's what I searched and what I found:

Washington County:  there was only one census for this county, so I searched it first.  18 Sheets....they were not there.

Next I began to search for them in Gallatin.  I searched ED 24-10, 24-11, 24-12, 24-15, 24-16A, 24-16B, 24-16C.....no luck!  I had 2 more to search in Gallatin, and I had some hope for this one because it mentioned in the boundaries....Winnwood.  I remembered (a little too late) that my mother and father were married in Winnwood Methodist Church.  So I began to search 24-17A....and I FOUND THEM!  Ross H. Robertson and Eleanor his wife and Kay E. Robertson, their daughter and my mom.  And...living right next door to my mom's family was Homer's sister, Faye!  She married Herbert A. Painter, and their family was living next door to Homer's family.  Herbert, Faye, their son Herbert R. and their daughter Caroline Sue.  So I hit gold twice!  It's been a good morning - - Easter morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment