Sunday, April 8, 2012

What the 1940 Census tells me about Homer and Family



1940 Federal Census - Missouri

I found Homer and family on the 1940 Census after much searching.  They are living in Gallatin, Clay County, Missouri....so my hunch that they wouldn't be too far away from Elisha and Zona was right.  They lived in the same county.  I found them in ED 24-17A on Sheet number 12B, Winnwood Lake, Gallatin Township, Clay County, Missouri.  Homer is going by his middle name at this time and is listed as Ross H. Robertson on line 61.  That's how his name was listed on his wedding certificate also.  Eleanor is listed as his wife and Kay E. is listed as their daughter, age 5.  Homer is 37 here and eleanor is 35.  They both got married later in life.  This census gives how many years of schooling they completed and I love that!  Homer completed H-2, which I'm assuming means 2 years of high school....so he went through 10th grade.  Eleanor completed C-3, which I think must mean 3 years of College.  That agrees with what my mother told me about her mom, Eleanor.  She told me years and years ago the Grandma Eleanor was a teacher. However, she wasn't working at that time, except in home housework.   Kay didn't attend any school...she was just 5 at this time.  Homer (Ross H.) was born in Missouri as was Kay, but Eleanor was born in Nebraska.  In fact, that's where they got married.  I wonder how they met since Homer seemed to live most of his life in Missouri?  I wish my mom were still here so I could ask her.  And what college did Eleanor go to??  I'll have to try to find out.  They lived in a Rural area of Clay County, Mo in 1935...but it wasn't a farm. This means they didn't live in the same house as they were living in at the time of the Census.  Homer was at work during the last week of March 1940 and he worked 40 hours that week.  So he had full-time work.  He worked at this time as a carpenter, private work as a building constructor.  He worked 32 weeks in 1939 and made $650.00 that year.  He did own his home and it was valued at $200.00 at that time.  

Right next door to Homer's family was his sister, Faye's family.  Faye married Herbert A. Painter, who, at this time was 37 years old.  Faye was 30 and they had two children:  Herbert R. a son, and Caroline Sue a daughter.  I think they only had the two children...but I'll have to check my memory.  Faye was 30 at this time, and Herbert was 11...Caroline was 3.  Herbert and Faye rented their home for $13...a month, I'm assuming.  It looks like Herbert had 3 years of high school (H-3) and Faye had 2 years of high school (H-2), just like her brother, Homer.  All of Faye's family were born in Missouri.  They lived in a Rural area of  Clay County, Mo in 1935, but it wasn't a farm.  Herbert worked the last week of March that year - - 44 hours.  He was a truck driver and did general hauling as a private worker (PW).  He worked 51 weeks in 1939 and made $1125.00 that year.  Faye didn't work outside the home.  She was listed as doing 'home house work'. 

It was very interesting to find that Homer and Faye lived next door to each other.  That tells me they had a good relationship and that my mom, Kay, lived near and played with her cousins Herbert and Caroline.  It feels like a happy memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment